I am thanking this down time to go a little deeper into the Sources Workspace. It was a long time before I found this, and I am guessing that others have missed it as well.
To start with, I went to the Plan Workspace, and clicked on the More Button for more File Statistics.
There are two items here that I want to talk about. There are 36 Sources in this file, but am only using the Template in 35 of them. I missed on. Will fix that shortly. This means that when I add information into Family Tree Maker, I put the Source of the information into one of the Template features in the Source Workspace and this is one of the areas I really focus on when I merge records into the program. Many blog posts on this topic. I will deal with that source group at another time.
When I look at the Sources Workspace, All source citations in the List By,
I have 521 Citations. These two numbers match up, as expected.
There is a dropdown menu where we have 4 choices. The All source citations, Source Title, Repository, and Person.
When I am working in the Sources Workspace I select and use the Source Title option. It's easy for me to find the Source Group I want to work on.
I want to look at all of the Source Groups by PERSON. I then can look at what Source Groups are Linked to that person. For this Clean Up, I want to scroll down to the Bottom of the list to find the UnLinked Source Groups.
When I select that, I see that I have 0 (zero / no) Source Groups not linked to a Person. That is what I want to see ALL of the time. All of my Sources are linked to someone's Fact.
One down, two to go.
Now I selected List By Source Title, scroll down to the bottom, again to Unlinked, This will give me a list of any Source Titles, and again All Source Groups have Citations.
2 down, 1 to go
The List by Repository has a problem, or ate list one problem.
This specific database had totally relied on Online Records. Any Record found Online, should NOT have a Repository. This List By should not have any repositories listed. There are two Source Groups and the first one has three Citations that have a Repository of Ancestry.com.
I won't go into this now, but when I looked at the Source Group, Template, I determined that I had selected an Incorrect Template, one that called for a Repository. I will blog about how I resolved that in the near future.
Also,that "FamilySearch" Repository, when I looked at it, was NOT using a Source Template. That is the difference of 1 in the File Statistic screen at the top of this blog post.
I have two clean up items to do:
- Select the correct Source Template for the Ancestry.com Source Group
- Put the FamilySearch Source Group into a Source Template
Copyright © 2017 by H R Worthington