Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Google+ Response: Source Template: Baptismal Record from the Family Search website

This is from a Google+ Request:

Got a question for you now that I am about to do my first source citation in FTM 2012.  I have an image of the Baptismal Record for my grandmother that I found over on FamilySearch.org, but am having a hard time figuring out how to do this.

Here is a link to where I found the record image - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-26176-32184-29?cc=1937794&wc=M9MQ-XL5:n549503664

I initially went to add a new source and church records as the category, but that didn't seem to fit, then I went to Digital Archives for the source template and put in the following info:

Collection: Prince Edward Island, Church Records, 1777-1985

Collection Format: images

Website Creator/Owner:  FamilySearch

Website Title:  FamilySearch.org

URL:  www.familysearch.org

Year:  left blank

This record gives her baptismal date, birth date, parents, etc.  If this is the correct template, I'm not sure what to put in the Citation Text box and what to put in the Citation Detail box.

This collection cites to the Anglican Church of Canada, Births, Baptisms 1884-1957.

I hope you can help me with this.  I"m totally lost.

Thanks.

There was a link to this blog post:

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-source-baptismal-record.html

Not having the name of the specific person, her Grandmother, I can only go so far.

Here is what I did:

Went to the Sources Workspace and selected New, in the upper right, and in the pop-up windows More:





 Then made my selections, based on the image in the link from Family Search:

It was a Church Record, an Image Copy, and it was Digitized Online. This is the Source Template I selected, that best described what was on that page.

Then the choice would bring up this screen:

Looking at the grayed text, that is the information that would be filled in, for data entry from that page:

Prince Edward Island, Church Records, 1777-1985
St Eleanors
Anglican Church of Canada
Births, baptisms 1884-1957
There was NOT a date on Family Search for when that record collection was made available, so I left the Year field blank.

That completed, brought up the Citation Screen:


I entered in the Citation Detail field:
accessed: 20 Aug 2013: Diocese of Nova Scotia, Page 38, Baptisms Solemized in the Parish or Mission of St. Eleanors in the Year 1909, Listed
I would enter the data from the image about the person of interest after the word "Listed"

In the Citation Text I entered:

Family Search: pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-26176-32184-29 
Which is the information from Family Search.

I added the Web Address for the image, that was listed in the initial Google+ message. I unchecked the Citation Text and Web Address boxes, (not show that way above).

The next step is to link the Fact collected from that image to this Citation.

I would also download the Image from Family Search and link that image to the Source Template







_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2013 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly