Friday, September 10, 2010

Family Tree Maker and Ancestry.com Member Family Tree Synchronization

There have been many long messages on the Ancestry.com message board for Family Tree Maker about the synchronization between a Web Based Tree and a PC Based Family Tree Maker (program) file.

In the Family Tree Maker Blog, announcing Version 2011, there is an posting by Tana L. Pedersen, author of the Official Guide to the Family Tree Maker program.


http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2010/08/31/family-tree-maker-2011-is-here/#comments




Here is the text of Tana L. Pedersens message around reply # 99:


Thanks to everyone of you who has asked questions and left comments. I apologize for not being able to answer every question and appreciate those of you who jump in to help.

I realize that synchronization is a much desired enhancement for Family Tree Maker users, so I asked if there was more I could post that would clarify the company’s position on the issue. Here’s the official statement. “Our customers frequently ask for more ability to synchronize and transfer data between Family Tree Maker and Ancestry Member Trees, and we want to assure you that we are listening. This is a complex issue and while we cannot say for certain when it will be resolved, it is an important priority that we are actively working on.”

End of Quote:

Copyright © 2010 by H R Worthington

6 comments:

  1. I think your sharing your knowledge and experience with others is great! I use RootsMagic software.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally fed up with FTM 2010. I have been using Family Tree Maker software since their inception and had no major issues until I bought a new computer-with Windows Vista-and my older version of FTM would not run on Vista-so I had no choice other than to purchase FTM 2010. I backed up my files on the old computer-loaded the latest version of FTM and then uploaded my files. This was over a year and a half ago. Almost immediately I started having problems with FTM freezing up and saying NOT RESPONDING. I have emailed FTM over and over again-they told me to compact my files-which I did-then they told me to resolve all place names-which I did and now they are telling me to go back to copy of old files and re-load to a new file of FTM 2010. I will lose everything I have entered over the past year and a half. Another suggestion from them was to split up my family and make additional trees-this is not an acceptable solution to me either.

    I have over 130,000 names in my family files and now FTM is telling me my problems might be caused by the large file. Wish I had known they have a limit for the size files you can have-for if I had known this I would never have purchased 2010. It's funny I did not have these issues when I was using an older version-so I guess this means the older versions could handle larger files-more media files, etc..

    Would love to hear back from others who may be experiencing these same issues.

    When I uploaded my files a year and a half ago to FTM 2010-it put information with people where it did not belong. I continue to find something under research notes for one person in another person's file-a person not even related to these research notes.

    I am just totally frustrated at this point and am wondering if FTM will resolve all the problems people are having with 2010 when they come out with a newer version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    Sorry that you are having problems with Family Tree Maker Version 2010.

    Second, I am sorry that I can not address you directly, by name, as you signed in as Anonymous.

    I have seen users with large files have issues. However, there are ways to address these issues. Since Version 2008 was released, the folks at Family Tree Maker have addressed performance issues with each version and even a patch or two during a version.

    Please go to the Knowledge Base website at

    http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

    and enter 5142 in the Search Support box on that page.

    Have you had any crashing of Family Tree Maker?

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, can sympathise. Performance .... I have lost so much sleep waiting for my computer to shut down while FTM 2010 runs on and on during shutdown that I'm beginning to fell like a zombie.

    Since moving from 2006 (which was a performance dream) to 2010 (thanks to acquiring a PC running Windows 7 with lots of grunt!!!) my family history research has almost ground to a halt as I attempt to sort out performance issues. It take 30 minutes + just to get a name list up. Do a change and then there is another 30 minutes while the name list is refreshed.

    The support staff have been very responsive but "that doesn't happen when I run FTM". Oh, yes, I had my file cleaned up and it included removing all the AKA entries.

    I have been using FTM for almost 15 years and am seriously looking at alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorraine,

    How may individuals are in your Family File? and what is the file size?

    Have you compacted your file recently?

    How do you have the Index (F2) or People Workspace, Family View sorted?

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly